Emirates Team New Zealand has moved to match point in the 34th America’s Cup after a 15-second win in Race 11.
The Kiwis gained the lead off the start line and held it throughout the race, despite repeated attacks from ORACLE TEAM USA. The defender closed up to the challenger’s stern at the final turning mark, but the Kiwis were able to get around the mark on starboard jibe while ORACLE TEAM USA had to put in two maneuvers to round the mark.
Emirates Team New Zealand leads the series 8-1 and needs one more victory to win the America’s Cup, while ORACLE TEAM USA needs to win eight consecutive races to retain the Cup.
34th America’s Cup Standings (first to 9 points wins)
- Emirates Team New Zealand – 8
- ORACLE TEAM USA – 1
Race 11 Performance Data
- Course: 5 Legs/10.16 nautical miles
- Elapsed Time: ETNZ – 23:41, OTUSA – 23:56
- Delta: ETNZ +:15
- Total distance sailed: ETNZ – 11.7 NM, OTUSA – 11.5 NM
- Average Speed: ETNZ – 29.88 knots (34 mph), OTUSA – 29.04 knots (33 mph)
- Top Speed: ETNZ – 44.57 knots (51 mph), OTUSA – 42.70 knots (49 mph)
- Windspeed: Average – 15.4 knots, Peak – 18.0 knots
- Number of Tacks/Jibes: ETNZ – 10/6, OTUSA – 10/8
Photo Credit: ACEA / Gilles Martin-Raget
– PR –