Which vessels are involved with the RIF?
Your yacht must:
- have an overall hull length greater than 24 metres,
- be operated commercially,
- be ran in international cabotage or deep sea,
- be manned by a professional crew with at least 25% Europeans,
- satisfy safety standards applicable to commercial yachts,
Quick and easy administrative procedures
- A contact at the Guichet Unique for all your customs and maritime affairs procedures,
- Faster processing times,
- A single form for registration and French flag requests,
- A comprehensive website (www.rif.mer.equipement.gouv.fr) for detailed information and for registration request,
- All procedures under french flag are mainly free-of-charge (Yacht owners will only be invoiced for inspectors’ foreign travel expenses, if applicable),
- Reduced mortgage fees.
Free pre-procedure advice
A technical consultant is on-hand to carry out advisory pre-visits in preparation for the launch visit. He also follows through yacht registrations and applications with the National Maritime SafetyCommittee (CNSNP).
Multiple reductions and tax exemptions
- Exemption of customs duties and VAT:
– on the vessel when imported,
– on all supplies and domestic tax on fuel (TIPP),
– on deliveries of vessel-incorporable goods including catering,
– on maintenance, transformation, repair, chartering and hire operations,
- Exemption from annual flag and sailing duties,
- For crew resident in France: employers’ social contributions is reduced to 11.6% (Current rates as of 10/10/09, instead of 35.6%) through the French Seamen’s National Health and Social Security Establishment (ENIM),
- For crew established out of France: foreign social security is available in accordance with EU Social security regulations.
Benefits for the crew
- Full income tax exemption for seamen fiscally resident in France and embarked for more than 183 days per 12 months,
- Services validated with the French Seamen’s National Health and Social Security Establishment, covering risks of illness, occupational injury and accident and pension scheme,
- Sailing time validated to obtain or to maintain STCW certificates (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping).
– AlP –