NauticNews Logo

Chinese manufacturer takes control of Ferretti Group

Shandong Heavy Industry Group – SHIG Weichai Group announced that it has reached agreements with the major creditors of the Italian yacht manufacturer Ferretti Group, to acquire a controlling interest in Ferretti by participating in Ferretti’s debt restructuring.

Through a total investment of 374 million euros, including equity investment of 178 million euros and provision of debt financing of 196 million euros, SHIG-Weichai Group will acquire a 75% interest in the yacht maker after the completion of the debt restructuring procedures. Existing creditors will acquire the remaining 25% interest in Ferretti through a 25 million euros equity injection and debt to equity swap. Through the acquisition, Ferretti’s capital structure will be fully restructured with equity capital increase by 100 million euros and total debts reduce to a reasonable level at around 120 million euros. The business will enjoy a strong capital base which will help drive its long-term development plans.

Mr. Tan Xuguang, Chairman of SHIG—Weichai Group, said: “Developing the yacht business is one of the Group’s strategic goals for the next five years. Ferretti, which possesses iconic international brands, state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies, products of the highest quality and an extensive sales network, is an ideal partner.

Through the acquisition, the Group will provide Ferretti with new channels to market and capital support as well as other resources with which it can expand more effectively into emerging markets, a key area of potential growth for Ferretti.

Mr. Norberto Ferretti, Chairman and Founder of Ferretti Group – declared: “We are very proud of this agreement with a prestigious partner such as SHIG—Weichai Group. We are strongly convinced that this partnership will lead to very satisfactory results and will provide Ferretti Group with a strong capital base which will allow the development of long-term growth plans. Moreover China is one of the most rapidly developing countries for the yachting sector and has great potential for the coming 5 to 10 years”.

Ferretti has eight highly recognized yacht brands (Ferretti Yachts, Pershing, Itama, Bertram, Riva, Mochi Craft, CRN and Custom Line) and owns a total of 8 shipyards in Italy as well as in Miami, USA, and employs nearly 2,000 employees.

SHIG—Weichai Group is one of the most competitive equipment manufacturing groups in China offering a broad range of high quality commercial vehicles, construction machinery and other heavy-duty industrial products.

The Group operates four main divisions, namely commercial vehicles, construction machinery, power generation systems and auto parts. In 2009, the Group acquired Moteurs Baudouin SA  in France which has helped the Group expand into the international high-end yacht business. After the acquisition, Weichai Power invested an accumulated 30 million euros and implemented multiple measures to improve Baudouin’s businesses and operations. The sales volume of Baudouin‘s engines increased from 74 units in 2009 to 352 units in 2011.

Leveraging its ample resources, SHIG-Weichai aims to facilitate Ferretti‘s expansion in emerging markets such as Asia, with a particular focus on Greater China, which will be an important growth engine for Ferretti’s future development. The Group will retain Ferretti’s key management team, headquarters and production bases in Italy.

Tags on NauticNews: Ferretti GroupNorberto FerrettiSHIG WEICHAI

– PR –

Related Articles

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

19 − 11 =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.